Share This

Monday, March 29, 2010

A Side of Rice


I love to spice up my sensory table with more than just sand and water. Last week rice was on sale at Publix and I grabbed two bags for home and one bag for school. Our theme this week is Spring so I dyed the rice pastel colors. To compliment my Spring theme I may add plastic eggs to fill, pastel cups, and bunnies. Here's how you can make your own colored rice.

To make colored rice you’ll need
*1/4 cup of vinegar
*rice
*a bowl
*shallow pan or container
*food coloring
*a spoon or a glove on one hand

Pour the rice in the bowl. Add a few drops of food coloring to your 1/4 cup of vinegar, pour in your rices and stir well. I like to mix with my hand, it seems to faster and the color seems richer. You’ll probably want to use gloves so your hand isn’t blue for the rest of the day, or shaking in a ziploc bag will work too. Pour the rice in a shallow container. Sit the rice aside until dry.

Don’t forget to add measuring cups, spoons, and dishes for your kids to dig, and discover.

Go ahead and have a side a rice today.

2 comments:

  1. I've never colored rice before, but we generally keep 25-50 lbs. around for our sensory table. I'm going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete