Share This

Monday, March 22, 2010

Preschool Children and Chores


Each child in my class has a daily chore. We keep a chore chart and it tells us what our job for the day is. We rotate the names each day so every person has a chance to do every job. The chores give the children a sense of responsibility and ownership of our class. It's a fabulous sight for everyone to be working together simultaneously for the same purpose. I usually praise their efforts and tell them how wonderful the classroom looks after we've all clean up. The children take their chores seriously and will remind me if we have not changed our chart first thing in the morning. You can purchase basic chore charts or make your own customized one. I have used both with great results.

Just like at school my children at home have their own list of daily chores. My daughter had a friend visiting our house. My girls were all in the kitchen doing dishes. Their friend asked surprisingly, "You do dishes?" My daughter asked, "Don't you have chores at home?" The little girl unsure of what to say clearly watching my daughters expression sheepishly said, "No". My daughter then asked, "Then how will you ever learn how to clean your house?!"

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! That is too funny. I was terrible at structuring my daughter to be helpful at home but great at it in the classroom:)

    ReplyDelete